Welcome to the IT Academy
Eligibility and Application Requirements:
Thank you for considering the IT Academy. Below is some information about the application process and what it takes to get in.
Admission to the IT Academy is competitive with a few requirements. You may qualify if you:
- Are a New York State resident
- Have a documented disability
- Are unemployed or underemployed
- Have a 10th grade reading level and 10th grade math level
- Have a HS Diploma, GED, or TASC
- Have a demonstrable interest in technology – either post-secondary education and/or work experience (such as Help Desk tech, IT assistant, etc.)
- Are able to commit to 6 month training without missing afternoon/evening classes, and 3 month, paid-internship (approximately 25 hours/week)
- Are legally authorized to work in the U.S.A.
- Can read, write and speak in English
- Can pass basic academic assessment tests
- Are ready to make an important commitment to building your future
- Are enrolled in or can enroll in ACCES-VR. If you don’t know if this is the case, please ask us
Other factors may affect your eligibility.
Joining us takes just 5 easy steps.
1. Information Session
You are invited to attend an in-person information session to begin the application process. We will aim to address all of your questions in the information session. The information and instructions to apply will be provided after the information session. If you decide that this program is right for you, you can complete your application at your information session. You are also welcome to submit the application from a home computer or mobile device.
Complete our two part online application. It consists of a short form on our website, and an email submission. This doesn't lock you in to a final commitment. In the following step, you will get to ask questions and get the answers you need to determine if this training is right for you. You only need to submit one application. Multiple submissions will not impact your chances of admittance.
3. Entrance exam
When you finish the first part of your application, you will be invited to complete an entrance exam at our offices. We use the reading comprehension and math sections of the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) as part of our entrance exam. We generally require a score of 10th grade level or higher. Find out more about the test and practice with sample questions here and here. We also use Cisco’s Self-Assessment tools. More information about this exam is available here. We strongly encourage you study and practice in advance.
Depending on your TABE scores and your eligibility, we may schedule you for an interview. During the interview, we’ll ask about your education, life experience and plans for the future. There are no right answers—so be honest and be yourself. Not everyone is required to have an interview for acceptance.
If we agree that you’re ready for this training, we’ll let you know and begin the enrollment process right away.
Please note, for an application to be successful, you will need to submit all three parts: the online form, an email submission, and a complete entrance exam.
(Apply now button with link to the IT Academy application)
Information sessions will be held at ICD's Offices
123 William St, 5th Floor,
New York, NY, 10038
- Thursday, 4/5/2018 4:30-6pm
- Friday, 4/6/2018 1-2:30pm
- Wednesday, 4/11/2018 10-11:30am
- Friday 4/13/2018 1-2:30pm
- Friday 4/13/2018 3-4:30pm
You can sign up for an info session here.
(A map of New York City with a pin dropped on ICD's location - 123 William Street, 5th floor, New York, NY 10038)