Welcome to the IT Academy
IT Academy is a new and innovative training program where students can earn industry-recognized Cisco skills and certifications in Networking and Cyber Security. Students participate in an adapted training program that meets the needs of different learning styles, while developing skills that put them on the cutting-edge of the growing and in-demand field of technology. As the first program of this kind, students are also offered assistance in:
- Work readiness (resume-writing, mock job-interviews, networking skills);
- Being connected to employers through internships; and
- Securing full-time positions in competitive employment opportunities.
Eligibility and Application Requirements:
Thank you for considering the IT Academy. Below is some information about the application process and what it takes to enroll into the program.
You may qualify if you:
- Are a New York State resident
- Have a documented disability
- Are unemployed or underemployed
- Have a 10th grade reading level and 10th grade math level
- Have a HS Diploma, GED, or TASC
- Have a demonstrable interest in technology – either post-secondary education and/or work experience (such as Help Desk tech, IT assistant, etc.)
- Are able to commit to the 6-month training without missing a class, and the 3-month paid internship (approximately 25 hours/week)
- Are legally authorized to work in the U.S.A.
- Can read, write and speak in English
- Can pass basic academic assessment tests
- Are ready to make an important commitment to building your future
- Are enrolled in or can enroll in ACCES-VR. If you don’t know, please ask us at: email@example.com.
Other factors may affect your eligibility.
5 Easy Steps:
1. Information Session
Attend an in-person information session, where you will receive instructions on how to apply to the IT Academy.
If you decide that this program is right for you, please complete the two part online application: Part A consist of you completing our short form here. Afterwards, you must email us Part B, which is your resume AND cover letter (or a video of yourself) at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you have completed Parts A and B of your application, then you will be invited to come back to ICD for a series of pre-assessments: 1. the Reading Comprehension and Math sections of the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) (we generally require a score of 10th grade level or higher); 2. a couple of Cisco Networking & Network Security exercises; and 3. a typing test. You can find out more about the TABE test as well as practice with sample questions here and here. To familiarize yourself with the Cisco exercises, you can practice with some Cisco’s self-assessment tools here. We strongly encourage you study and practice in advance.
Depending on your application and test results, we may schedule you for an interview. During the interview, we’ll ask about your education, interests, life experience, and plans for the future. There are no right answers—so be honest and be yourself. Not everyone is required to have an interview for acceptance.
If we agree that you’re ready for this training, we’ll let you know and begin the enrollment process right away.
Reminder: please note that, for your enrollment application to be complete, you will need to submit all three parts: the online form, an email submission of your resume and cover letter (or video), and the completion of all your pre-assessments.
(A map of New York City with a pin dropped on ICD's location - 123 William Street, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10038)