Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
Reports To: Director of Programs
Location: 123 William Street 5th Floor, New York, NY 10038
Position Type: Full-Time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Institute for Career Development (ICD) is a fast-growing, dynamic not-for-profit workforce development organization based in New York City. For 100 years, ICD has been a leader in the field of vocational rehabilitation, helping individuals with disabilities experiencing challenges or barriers to transform their lives through career development and employment. Every year, ICD services puts over 1,250 people on a path to career success. ICD’s 32+ member team of professionals assist adults, youth, veterans, entry-level employees, and career changers with disabilities to gain economic independence through career planning, evaluation, career school training programs, internships, job placement services and services for employers. Building on the organization’s program success in the five boroughs of New York City, ICD aims to increase its social impact through collaborations, advocacy, and innovation.
Summary of Position:
ICD seeks a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor to collaborate with the vocational services team to provide vocational rehabilitation services and counseling to participants with a broad range of vocational needs and disabilities in ICD’s training programs. The Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor will work one on one and in groups with participants to ensure they successfully complete ICD’s training program requirements, and secure employment in the appropriate vocation. The vocational counselor will play a key role in identifying and developing appropriate internship sites for participants as part of training requirements.
- Obtain, analyze and evaluate participant psychosocial, educational and employment information to assist individual in setting and achieving vocational goals.
- Provide counseling to participants on social and personal adjustment related to attendance and success in job training, obtaining and keeping employment, and long-term career progression goals.
- Act as liaison with participant referral sources and other collaterals including case managers, treatment providers, internship site supervisors and employers.
- Develop internship opportunities that meet the needs of individual participants.
- Visit internship/employment sites to observe and consult with site supervisors/contacts.
- Plan and facilitate groups on job readiness, interviewing and job seeking skills, work related life skills, job support groups.
- Maintain required documentation (ACCES-VR/BPSS) within specified regulatory standards and timeframes.
- Other duties as assigned.
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including use of Word and Excel
Work Demands & Environment:
- Strong interpersonal skills for counseling and community liaison activities
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills required for service coordination and documentation requirements of caseload
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as per client needs
- Ability to access community sites for meetings, outreach, and community services
- Ability to interface with staff to resolve problems and answer questions, and use independent judgment and initiative.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Good record-keeping skills to accurately track attendance, program participation, and other data.
- Professional, motivational and teamwork-oriented environment.
- Collaboration with other ICD team members in an effort to assist participants with obtaining and maintaining employment
- Ability to use independent judgment and initiative
Education / Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling with CRC highly preferred. MA in related field and minimum of 3 years Vocational Counseling/Workforce Development
- BA and minimum of five years in vocational counseling and/or workforce development required
- Excellent writing/organizational skills for case coordination required
Foreign Language Skills:
None required, Spanish or ASL helpful
Please email resume and cover letter to Dbenson@icdnyc.org with a subject of “Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.”
The Institute for Career Development is an advocate for diversity in the workplace. All candidates will benefit from equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to: race; color; age; religion; pregnancy; sex; sexual orientation; disability; gender identity; gender expression; national origin; genetic information; Veteran status; marital status; or prior protected activity.
ICD complies with all applicable federal, state, and city employment laws.